GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A 60's Obsession

This is one well used and much loved ruler! As you can see I have florescent tape in a variety of areas marking different cutting lines for a variety of projects. I have been having a 60's obsession! Actually I am stealing that line from Heather Mulder-Peterson's new book which is titled: Sizzlin' Sixties. Her quilt patterns in this book uses the 60 degree ruler. Easy peasie... I'm telling you! No Y seams are needed for any of these quilts.









This is a photo of a pattern called Twist & Turn by Laundry Basket quilts. I did this pattern using an assortment of Fig Tree fabrics. I also taught a couple of classes in this and there was a variety of fabrics people used from 1800's to Batiks. They all looked amazing. My quilt is with son #1 in Chico. Sorry I don't have a photo of it. Thanks Edyta from Laundry Basket for the picture.



I have showed this one before... no, it's still not quilted. But, I wanted you to see what you could do with the same ruler. This is an American Jane pattern: Triple Crown.




I had shown this one a couple of weeks ago also. This is called Wee Spin but Merry Go Round looks about the same, which was in McCalls Quilting magazine last fall. Most of these can be made with jelly rolls also. (woohoo!)



Here are a few other things you can do with the same ruler. I have had a lot of fun with this. The quilt here is still in strips- I haven't sewn the rows together yet. I'm sure you have seen other quilts from the One Block Wonder books. They just use one fabric. I know the idea is similar to stack and wack, but (in my opinion) a 100 times better. If you click on the photo to enlarge it you can see the strips and how it goes together without the Y seams.



Here is a couple of pictures of another one I did. It's the "basis" style. The one above is using a couple extra techniques. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the Sizzlin' Sixties book and playing with the more traditional blocks some more!











Until then I might just play with the Dresden block a little. I have seen some of those done at V & Co. and at A Quilting Life. (I haven't figured out how to link those yet... please help me if you can). Edyta has a pattern that is a variation of the Dresden also, called Dresden Star, you can see it on her web site.

Thanks for stopping by and visiting with me. I enjoy your comments!






4 friends stopped by to chat:

quiltmom anna said...

Very lovely one block wonders_ I have made a couple of Stack and Whack quilts and may yet try the one block wonder pattern. The trick with the one block wonder seems to be to find the right fabric for it!

I really like the pattern that looks a bit like concentric circles. I made a quilt called Paperweight by Aardvark patterns that is sort of that same idea.( if you go back to my earliest posts last september/october you should be able to find a photo of it.
http://quiltmomsjourney.blogspot.com
There are so many patterns to try and never enough time.
Regards,
Anna

Sherri said...

I love the Twist and Turn quilt! All of those Fig Tree fabrics are amazing! But you'll definitely have to try the Dresdens too! To put links in your blog post you highlight the word or words where you want the link, then you click on the little symbol above the text box that looks like a chain link with a green circle. A box will appear where you type in the web address...and then you have your link...I think...let me know if you have any questions.

PamKittyMorning said...

You've got to put those flowers on the border. Painful though. why not take the borders off and blanket stitch them and then put them back on? That's what I'd be doing.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

very pretty! And someone already gave you the instructions on adding links in your posts. You should be good to go.